Again — I’m Right.
so, a bit ago, i said sony would lose a whole bunch of money on the ps3. specifically to the tune of about $4 billion in the first 12-14 months.
yeah. that’s about what sony is saying now too. $1.7 billion is their “new” forecast for march.
However, Sony expects losses at its game unit to nearly double from its initial estimate to 200 billion yen ($1.71 billion) for the year to March after it cut the price of a PS3 with a 20-gigabyte hard disk drive by 20 percent in Japan.
anyone else notice that a $85 cut on 15-20% of the consoles they sell in japan happens to be about one and a half million dollars? that’s the cause to increase the loss target by $800 million? huh?
let’s see how that works out:
- 100,000 launch units in japan.
- 20% of them are “gimped” 20-gig drive units.
- 10,000 yen price cut is about $85.
- 20,000 consoles costing an extra $85 is: $1.7 million.
- a loss of $800 million because of the “gimped” consoles means selling 9.4 million gimped consoles.
- gimped consoles making up 20% of the offering means nearly 50 million ps3s sold by march.
heh. yeah. whatever.
the price drop is a small part of what’s breaking sony over the next 6 months.