Sony’s Not Worried? Huh? 10 Reasons Why They Should Be
evidently, stringer’s not worried about competition from microsoft’s xbox. no offense stringer, but if i were you, i’d be terrified.
a few obvious facts that would have me sitting on a pile of bricks were i in howard stringer’s place:
- this time around, there is no 18 month lead over a brand new, unmarketed, unheard of, never even had a console company.
- household broadband penetration is high and my competitor’s chief differentiator is their award winning online service — while i have no clear future plans and a crappy existing implementation.
- i’m not the only console adored by the japanese. not that it matters because…
- japan is third by a long, long way in video game marketshare (2004 statistics) and accounts for only about 12.5% of a global market. north america and europe make up almost 70%.
- we’ll launch with an extremely expensive console when our competitors, one who is known for a low pricepoint and one who will be hitting a price cut, already have theirs out.
- our only differentiator is a brand new blu-ray format which is likely to destroy the company because of a greedy move for securing the media as a standard without thinking about channel conflict.
- we’ve projected our first annual loss as a company in 11 years.
- some of my most important and exclusive developers are no longer exclusive.
- the media is spending a much greater amount of time talking about my competitor than me.
- 2005 was a disappointingly low sales season for video games. sales are down.
- BONUS REASON: my chief competitor is a cut-throat, monopolizing, do anything to achieve their goals, already convicted of evil tactics, $60 billion in cash having, almost 7 times our valuation, can’t remember their last annual loss, stopping at nothing to destroy competition marketshare, examples of previous company killing existing, second largest company in the world monster no one can stop.
yeah. it’s pretty safe to say howard stringer is an idiot to not be worried. tho, you have to wonder how much of that is just him pulling an iraqi information minister. they’ve been awful quiet over there considering they are supposed to launch in a couple months….